Instagram is a free photo-sharing program and social network now owned by Facebook. Instagram is useful for home business: it quickly allows users to post product pictures on social media sites for marketing. Instagram users can take a photo, apply a digital filter, and share the image with other Instagram users via a social network platform. Instagram has about 100 million registered and is growing quickly.
Instragram addresses three problems associated with mobile cameras:
1) Mobile photos are average quality, but Instragram filters transform the photos into closer to professional quality images.
2) Uploading photos to social networks is a pain. Instragram makes the process fast and efficient.
3) Sharing photos on multiple platforms requires multiple uploads, edits, etc. Instagram will share a photo instantly on multiple services.
Instagram also automatically creates 4:4 square pictures. This is different than the 4:3 aspect ratio used by mobile devices.
Instragram currently works with Flickr, Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook.
Also available is a limited Windows version of Instagram – Instagrille. Testing suggests the feature is limited to viewing and downloading; not uploading and editing.
Below is a famous Lipizzan horse taken in Vienna, Austria before Instagram filtering:
Below is the same Lipizan horse, after applying Instagram’s brightening and sharpening. Sizing was automatic.
The available digital filters for Instragram are:
– Warm, saturated effect. Emphasis on yellow.
– Faded, blurred, focuses on yellow and beige.
– Slightly blurred, with yellow and green saturated.
– Sepia effect. Emphasis on purple and yellow.
– Low key. Focus on gray and green.
– Highly contrast, slightly gray and brown.
– Black and white filter with high contrast.
Washed-out color with blue overtone.
– Fuzz, with focus on gold and yellow tones.
– Sharpens the image with magenta-purple tint. Framed with a border
– 1970s flair
– Super saturated, retro photo with scratchy border.
Also possible is a brightening and sharpening effect by clicking the sun-like icon in the lower left corner. The teardrop icon in the top toolbar creates two levels of blurred top and bottom borders.
Instagram is neat, quick, free, and useful for sharing images on social networks. Though Windows versions are not yet available, Instagram claims development is in-process.
By Dion D. Shaw
Dion D. Shaw is the founder and owner of Homepreneurs
Homepreneurs. New Day. New Opportunity.
Homepreneurs does not endorse nor have any relationships with any of the services listed. Homepreneurs receives no compensation or consideration for its suggestions. Homepreneurs strongly urges all interested parties to conduct research and accepts no responsibility for any losses incurred.
© Homepreneurs 2010 – 2012, All Rights Reserved
Photo credits: Dion Shaw, Cathy Shaw, all rights reserved