Every website wants to land in Google’s top 10 results list. And many companies claim to provide superior SEO or search engine optimization improvement. SEO – in part – ranks a website or blog higher on a search engine’s ranking. Google dominates the search engine market, with Bing and Yahoo search well behind in 2nd and 3rd place. Ask and AOL search round out the top five.1
Because of its sheer size, Google basically dictates the search engine market. “Just Google it” is a common term. Have you ever heard “Just Bing it” or “Yahoo it”? Google uses – and often changes – proprietary methods to rank websites. This information is a company secret and outsiders can only guess about the true formula.
There are ways to enhance a website’s SEO without knowing Google’s secrets. Here are some simple tips that will improve SEO and search engine ranking:
1. Submit the website URL to the search engines using the webmaster tools available at each site. This will help with indexing. If a site configuration does not allow installation of Google’s and Bing’s webmaster platforms, submit anonymously via these links:
2. Search competing websites that rank higher in results and look at title tags and keywords. Check rankings of target keywords, notate, and use them on your web pages. This site – http://www.searchenginejournal.com/5-tips-for-conducting-semantic-keyword-research/43538/ – is a good place to start for more information.
3. Keywords should be relevant to the business, but not too broad or too narrow. Google adwords is very helpful for tracking keywords. Login to adwords.google.com, click on the tools and analysis tab, and search your keywords. Screen shots are below.
Homepreneurs was logged in for these screen shots and the term “home business” was searched.
4. After making changes to keywords and title tags, resubmit the website to Google and Bing for indexing.
These methods will improve your website SEO, search rankings, and you won’t need to pay someone else.
By Dion D. Shaw
Dion D. Shaw is the founder and owner of Homepreneurs
Homepreneurs. New Day. New Opportunity.
Homepreneurs does not endorse nor have any relationships with any of the services listed. Homepreneurs receives no compensation or consideration for its suggestions. Homepreneurs strongly urges all interested parties to conduct research and accepts no responsibility for any losses incurred.
© Homepreneurs 2010 – 2013, All Rights Reserved
- What is Search Engine Optimization? (teamwildflower.wordpress.com)
- Seo (margotenterprises.wordpress.com)
- Beginners Steps to Search Engine Optimization (yourwebdream.wordpress.com)