In a couple weeks, Americans will cast ballots for president, congress, and state offices. This is a chance to make some money by being an election judge.
The hours are long – you’ll start at 5:00 or 5:30 am and get home around 7:00 pm. For your efforts, you can expect to earn $140 to $190 dollars, depending on the state or county where you live.
Signing up is easy. Simply google search “be an election judge in xxx county” and follow the links and instructions. There will be a brief online training class before election day. You may also need to set up the polling booth the night before the election. Most polling places are in schools, community centers and similar. Almost all are within a couple miles of your home.
There are few qualifications to be an election judge (this for Cook County Illinois):
– Be registered voters in Cook County (U.S. citizens at least 18 years of age);
– Be able to speak, read and write English;
– Be able to perform basic math;
– Be of good understanding and capable;
– Not be a committeeman, precinct captain or candidate and must agree not to serve as a judge if they become one;
– Notify the Board of Elections if a person who shares his or her residence becomes a candidate, and must not serve as a judge in that election in any precinct where that candidate is on the ballot;
– Be of good repute and character and not a registered sex offender anywhere in the United States and not have committed a crime that would require registering as a sex offender anywhere in the United States;
– Agree that if the judge applicant is removed as an election judge due to misbehavior, neglect of duty or other cause, the person will not be paid for training or election day service;
– Agree that if a person fails to perform all of the services required of a judge, the compensation may be reduced accordingly;
– Agree that by law, the name, address and party affiliation are subject to public disclosure; and,
– Agree that the Board of Elections may use any personal data provided in the Judge Application for the Board’s internal operations.
Want to make a quick $100 or more for a little work? Serve the country as an election judge.
Sign up to be a Cook County election judge here: http://www.chicagoelections.com/en/serving-as-a-judge-of-election.html